(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question about Serial Mode/Drivers

Question about Serial Mode/Drivers 18 Jan 2012 15:47 #8678

• nyrxman
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
I recently paid for and upgraded to the "Extreme Edition" on my HP-1.

In reading the manual (Extreme Edition Version 2.02) there is a paragraph that talks about Serial Drivers and Serial Mode. I am a bit confused about the "serial mode." That is, I'm not sure when, or if, I need to do this step to use the extreme upgrade.

Can you briefly explain when I would use the "serial mode" with appropriate "serial drivers"? Do I have to be in "serial mode" to use the advanced functions of the extreme upgrade on HP-1?

Thanks again for your patience and help.

Re: Question about Serial Mode/Drivers 18 Jan 2012 17:28 #8681

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
The serial mode is used with external PC software. Currently, other than three engineering demo programs that Uniden posted, the only software I am aware of using the serial output is ArcPatrol's Virtual Control, which gives you a virtual HP1 on your PC screen, and Unitrunker, which has a beta version that supports the HP1E. To use these pieces of software, you must install the serial drives, which will recognize the HP1E when you plug in the USB cable to the PC...

Re: Question about Serial Mode/Drivers 12 Feb 2012 03:42 #8968

• jziggity
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
Just a quick question - is the serial drivers/serial mode only available if you have the Extreme Upgrade? Based on what I have read I believe this to be the case, if someone could just confirm for me. Thanks!

Re: Question about Serial Mode/Drivers 12 Feb 2012 04:17 #8970

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
OCO wrote:
The serial mode is used with external PC software. Currently, other than three engineering demo programs that Uniden posted, the only software I am aware of using the serial output is Arc Patrol's Virtual Control, which gives you a virtual HP1 on your PC screen, and Unitrunker, which has a beta version that supports the HP1E. To use these pieces of software, you must install the serial drives, which will recognize the HP1E when you plug in the USB cable to the PC...

I recently acquired the Arc Patrol Software. It appears I need Serial Drivers. Elsewhere on this site (Support) I found, downloaded, and unzipped, what I thought was going to be a driver installation file. Instead the file was a .inf (notepad text file). I have no idea what to do with this .inf file.

File Attachment:

File Name: HomePatrol_Serial_Drivers.zip
File Size: 2 KB
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)

Re: Question about Serial Mode/Drivers 12 Feb 2012 05:59 #8971

• OCO
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
Check page 5 in the Extreme Edition manual.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: rwier

Re: Question about Serial Mode/Drivers 12 Feb 2012 06:37 #8972

• rwier
  • ( User )
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
OCO wrote:
Check page 5 in the Extreme Edition manual.....

From page 5:
"For Windows XP or Windows Vista, copy the appropriate driver from your HomePatrol’s “USB Driver” directory to a folder on your hard drive (if this directory is not on your HomePatrol‐1, you can download the files from info.uniden.com/HomeePatrol)."

My comment: This directory is not on my HomePatrol‐1, however the correct file is on my desktop.

Continuing. from page 5:
"When you select the serial mode, your computer will ask you for the location of the drivers."

My comment: When I select the serial mode the screen darkens for a portion of a second and returns showing the Mass Storage screen. Earlier (days, months?), I had assumed that this result was due to the lack of installed drivers. Now I am at another impasse point.

Continuing. from page 5:
For Windows XP, select Hp1WinXPCom.inf.
For Windows Vista, select HP1WinVista7Com.inf.
Rob, Phoenix, AZ since '40
Used nearly every day:
996T, HP-1 (E) (x3), 500, 600, and 800 (x2)
  • Page:
Moderators: Atomic B Claw, Torgo
Time to create page: 0.83 seconds